Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Vegetable Egg Rolls, Sauteed Broccoli, Mustard-Tamari-Maple Sauce






I learned how to make these egg rolls when I was six years old. A good friend of my mom's who was an excellent cook invited us over for dinner and a lesson in egg roll making. I never forgot what Susan taught me, and I have made them many times in the last 23 years. I've tweaked them a little bit, but they are essentially the same egg roll.


Vegetable Egg Rolls

1 cup grated carrots
1 cup grated cabbage (any variety will do, but purple adds nice color)
1 cup grated zucchini (squeeze out extra moisture before measuring)
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
salt to taste

egg roll wrappers
oil for frying (I use olive, but you can use the oil of your choice)
small bowl of water


Stir all ingredients together. Pour ~ 1/4 inch of oil into a frying pan and turn on med heat. 




Lay out several egg roll wrappers on a dry surface so that their points are up and down (like a diamond). Spoon 2 heaping tablespoons of filling onto each wrapper, placing it just below the center of the wrapper.


 Fold the bottom point up first, and wrap around the filling. Next fold each side point over, making sure that there are no openings for the filling to escape through. Next, roll upwards until only ~ 1/2 inch of the top point is still showing. Dip your fingers in water, dab the water on the point and smooth it onto the roll. 


Place the egg rolls in pan after oil is good and hot. Turn with tongs when bottom is bubbly and browned. Repeat until whole roll is cooked in this way. You could also deep fry these, if you wanted. When egg roll is cooked completely (approximately 10 minutes), remove from pan and place on paper towels to absorb extra oil. Serve.



Sauteed Broccoli

3 cups chopped broccoli
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon tamari

There is rarely a meal that goes by in my house that does not contain broccoli (hence the name of my blog). I love it. If I could only pick one food to eat for the rest of my life, it would be broccoli. I have it added to just about everything I order in restaurants, much to the surprise of many a server. This is a simple recipe that we eat frequently.


Pour oil into large frying pan on medium heat. When oil is hot, add broccoli, stir, and place lid on pan. After about 5-7 minutes (or when broccoli is slightly browned). Stir, replace lid and leave for another 5-7 minutes. Broccoli is done when soft (not mushy) and still very green. At this point, add the tamari. When it stops sizzling, turn off heat and serve. 

Note: It is also very good to add nuts to this. Add when broccoli is about half cooked. Cashews and walnuts are especially nice.



Mustard-Tamari-Maple sauce


2 1/2 tablespoons mustard 
1 teaspoon tamari
1 teaspoon maple syrup
3 tablespoons olive oil


whisk all ingredients together


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis