Friday, December 11, 2009

Gingersnaps


I have always loved ginger cookies of all varieties - the more ginger the better! Especially this time of year. What better way to warm up than with a spicy cookie and a hot beverage! I don't usually go for crunchy cookies - I tend to prefer those of the chewy variety. As soon as I saw these, however, I just knew I had to make them. I am so glad I did, because though they don't look like much, they are fantastic!

These are gingersnaps that have a great snap to them, but they aren't hard. Just incredibly crispy. You slice them very thin, so they have a wonderful lightness to them. Of course, that does make it very easy to eat 5 in a row without noticing, but hey, that's what New Year's resolutions are for right?

The original recipe called for cinnamon, but I didn't have enough so I used all spice which added a great depth of flavor that I don't think I would have gotten with the cinnamon. I also used more ginger and black pepper than the recipe called for, but they still weren't as spicy as I would have liked them to be. Next time I make them, I'll use 4 teaspoons of ginger and 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, and we'll see if that does the trick.

These are great holiday cookies - who doesn't love a gingersnap?


Gingersnaps
adapted from simplyrecipes.com


8 oz (two sticks) unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/3 cup molasses
3 cups unbleached white flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons all spice
3 teaspoons ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Before starting: line a 9x5 loaf pan with plastic wrap so that it covers the entire interior of the pan and hangs over the edges. In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Set aside. In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter until soft and smooth. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs and beat until fluffy. Add molasses and mix until well combined. Add dry ingredients to mixer in 3 batches, mixing only until just incorporated. Transfer dough to prepared loaf pan, and press in tightly and as evenly as possible. Bring overhanging edges of plastic over dough so it is covered, and freeze until very firm, preferably overnight. When you're ready to bake, preheat oven to 350, and cut dough into very thin slices, about 1/8" thick (no more). Place about an inch apart on parchment lined baking sheet, and bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until the edges have turned dark brown. Let cool completely on baking sheet.


4 comments:

  1. Yum!! I haven't had gingersnaps in years

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look yummy! I love the shape. I'm not a big fan of gingersnaps but I like using them in other treats (crusts, streusel, etc) so thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look delightful. I think our tastes in gingersnaps must line up because I agree with everything you said! I can't wait to try these cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I think you've convinced me that I have to try these. =) Like you, I usually like my ginger cookies soft. But they're ginger cookies, so they can't really be bad, no matter what texture they have.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis