Tuesday, December 8, 2009

TWD: Spice Sables


This week's TWD pick was sables - a sandy-textured cookie that is a relative of shortbread, though sables contain egg yolks. There are several flavor options in Baking from My Home to Yours, all of which sounded great. Though I want to try all of them, this time around I went with the spice version, which has a combination of cinnamon, ginger and freshly grated nutmeg.

I only made a half recipe, though I kind of wish I'd made more - especially since I included some of these in my secret baker package. I'm pretty sure my bakee isn't a TWD member... These are deceptively delicious cookies. You take one bite and think, "Mmm, these are good cookies." After another bite, you're saying, "Wow! These are fantastic!" After one more bite, you're done for and pretty soon you've eaten 5.

These sables are firmer in texture than shortbread, they have a little more crispiness on the surface. They are gently and perfectly spiced, and the outside of them is coated in a sugar and allspice mixture which adds just a bit of crunch.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who wouldn't like these cookies. Don't let their simplicity fool you, they are outstanding.

Thanks to Barbara of Bungalow Barbara for picking these fantastic cookies, which will certainly be making frequent appearances in my home from now on. You can find the recipe and all of its variations on her blog. There is a parmesan version that I'm dying to try...


11 comments:

  1. Your sables are perfection. I really enjoyed these too. The parmesan version is calling my name as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cookies look fabulous! I went with the plain version this go round. Spice is high on my list of the second go round. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look great! i can't wait to bake mine tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!! Spicy. Have to try those next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, your sables look amazing Sarah! The spice version intrigued me too. I'll be making it soon I think. Your SB recipient will be lucky to receive these :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, your cookies look wonderful! Am sure your secret baker will be delighted! They really were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for baking along with me this week!

    Now I'm sorry I didn't make the spice version. Yours look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look wonderful and tempting on your plate. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, the spice version sounds wonderful. I want to try them all too, they really are excellent cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK, Travis, my four year old ate three right off the bat! Fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, now I really want to go mix up another batch of dough so I can try this version. I love anything with spices. Yum! I did vanilla for this round, and they're disappearing pretty quickly, too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis