Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, Boule



I finally got the book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day yesterday, and immediately started out with the master recipe.

The premise behind this book is that you make large quantities of dough that you can store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Every time you want to bake something, you cut off a 1 pound piece of dough, form it into whatever shape you're making - baguette, boule, pita, etc... - let it rest, then bake it. 

There are several recipes for basic doughs (such as brioche, challah, white, wheat and more), and several recipes that can be made with each of those doughs. They have also eliminated several steps from the bread making process such as kneading! 

It feels slightly like cheating, and I don't know that I'll really hone my bread making skills this way, but I have two young kids and my own business, so I'll take whatever shortcuts I can get!

Everything about this was easy. And delicious. The crust was beautiful, crispy, the perfect thickness, deep golden; the crumb soft, chewy, not too dense, not too light. The loaf was so beautiful, I couldn't believe I made it!

There is now no excuse not to make fresh bread. I can't wait to try all of the other recipes. I'm not going to write up the recipe here because you should all go out and buy this book!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis