Monday, November 30, 2009

Chocolate No-Roll Crust for Pies & Tarts


Today is my uncle's birthday. He requested a chocolate peanut butter tart for the occasion, which I was happy to provide him with. As I was planning his tart, I was thinking about the crust I was going to make. I didn't want to go with a traditional tart crust. I wanted something more like a cookie-crust, but not as sweet. I immediately thought of the no-roll crust I originally saw on Joy the Baker - which I have already done two adaptations of - and wondering if I could figure out a chocolate version.

I decided to stick with partial whole wheat flour, which I wanted for it's texture and earthiness. I added sugar to this crust, which I omitted from the other two, and obviously I added cocoa powder. It worked out perfectly on the first try! I was so happy with this crust, I had to give it its own post (though I will post the tart I used it for tomorrow). This crust has a wonderful chocolate flavor that is just sweet enough, and the the texture is sandy and crumbly (though it stays together beautifully). It was everything I wanted it to be. It is a perfect alternative to a cookie crust, and nearly as easy to make. This one is a keeper!


Whole Wheat Chocolate No-Roll Crust

3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon unbleached white flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons butter cut into small pieces and frozen
4 tablespoons ghee, melted and cooled
2 tablespoons cold heavy cream

In a medium sized bowl, combine flours, cocoa powder, salt, sugar and baking powder. Set aside. Add cream cheese and butter and using a pastry blender, cut them in until well incorporated and there are butter bits of various sizes, though none terribly large. Combine heavy cream and ghee and add a little at a time to the flour mixture, tossing with your fingers as you add it. When all of the liquid has been added, use your hands to squeeze all of the ingredients to form a dough. It is okay if it is crumbly, though you want to make sure all of the dry ingredients have been moistened. Dump dough into well-buttered 9" tart pan with a removable bottom (or a 9" pie pan), and press in evenly. Place crust in freezer for at least 30 minutes, and preheat oven to 375. To blind bake, press a piece of aluminum foil over the crust and bake covered for 10 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 15, or until crust feels slightly firm to the touch. Let crust cool completely before filling.


5 comments:

  1. GREAT looking crust. Sounds perfect for a PB tart. Have to add this one to the list.

    Made the reg no roll crust for Pecan Pie for TG. Your version with sugar, tho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the recipe for the peanut butter tart! The chocolate crust looks wonderful and is a great start. I had to look up ghee so thanks for educating me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooooooooooh that looks wonderful! What can you use to replace the ghee in the recipe? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can use any milk flavored oil in place of the ghee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that looks yummy Sarah! And, if you added anything peanut buttery to it, it must have been fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis