Saturday, November 7, 2009

Whole Wheat Cranberry Bread


As a child, I hated chocolate. Something I simply cannot understand now, but back in the day all I wanted was sour treats. Though my love has shifted entirely to any dark, rich, luscious cacao confection, I still really enjoy things like this cranberry bread.

This is a bread that I discovered (as I do so many things) through Tracey. She sent a loaf of it to Kayte in her Secret Baker box. I'll be posting a round-up of all of everything the Secret Bakers baked next week, when I've received photographs from everyone.

I got a bunch of cranberries yesterday, and I was looking for a treat to make with them. As soon as I saw this bread, I knew what it would be.

This bread is wonderful. Moist, earthy, tart, dense. It doesn't need anything, though I have it on good authority that it is fantastic toasted with butter and honey.

I kind of wish that I would find more recipes that I don't love so that I wouldn't have to figure out when I could bake them again! Thankfully the holidays are coming up, so I'll have the chance to bake bake bake!!! I assure you, this bread will be on the agenda.

I made a few changes to the recipe, here is my version:

Whole Wheat Cranberry Bread
adapted from Everyday Food

4 tablespoons melted butter, plus butter for the pan
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup palm sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
3/4 cup buttermilk
7.5 oz cranberries

Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour a 9x5 loaf pan. In a large bowl, combine flours, palm sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together melted butter, buttermilk and egg. Add egg mixture to flour mixture, whisk to combine. Fold in the cranberries. Spoon into prepared loaf pan and smooth the top. Bake for about an hour, or until loaf is golden brown and tester placed in the center comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it too Sarah! I knew you'd adapt it wonderfully to make it more healthy :) Looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious. Love the tartness of the cranberries with the sweetness of the bread. Have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful, I love cranberries and I have a lot in my kitchen, despite using them for both TWD and SMS this week. I received my Secret Baker box yesterday, I'll send you a photo soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great bread! I love how much it is bursting with cranberries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bread is beautiful with the cranberry jewels. This is one for my hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this recipe this morning, using muffin pans instead of a loaf pan. I also coarsely chopped the cranberries with a food processor.
    This recipe is great! Slathered with real butter, and aside a cup of hot coffee, YUM! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis