Saturday, February 13, 2010

Chocolate-Dipped Marzipan Coins


Whenever there was a special occasion growing up, marzipan was my treat of choice. It was not available in the small town I grew up in - except for a short time when there was a much-loved (by me) candy store downtown - so it was only on birthdays and other holidays when I would get it. It came in a shallow little green mesh box, divided into 9 separate spaces. In each space was a molded marzipan fruit or vegetable, airbrushed some bright color or another. Thinking about it now, it sounds slightly repulsive, but back then it was magical. I would savor each piece, trying to stretch out my enjoyment as long as possible, but the marzipan never lasted more than a couple hours at best.


I was trying to come up with something to post that would be Valentine's Day appropriate, though sophisticated - nothing red, heart-shaped or containing catchy sentimental phrases. Not that there's anything wrong with those things, I'm just not so much in the Valentine's spirit this year.


These are treats that you could give anyone you love on V-Day, not just a significant other. They are also ridiculously simple to make.

They taste better than any marzipan I've ever eaten. They taste fresh, which is not usually something you get with the electric red strawberry-shaped version. They are moist, not too sweet, and tender. The store-bought variety can tend towards rubbery, and these are anything but.

If you have molds, you could certainly use them to make fun marzipan shapes. I rolled my marzipan out and used my smallest biscuit cutter.

If you need a last-minute Valentine to give someone, these are perfect. They are delicious, beautiful and only take about an hour from start to finish - including time for the chocolate to set.


Chocolate-Dipped Marzipan Coins
adapted from Smitten Kitchen


8 ounces blanched almonds
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
1 tablespoon almond extract
4-5 tablespoons corn syrup*

3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, tempered

Place almonds in food processor. Grind to a fine powder, then process a little longer. About 2 minutes in all. Scrape bowl, and add confectioner's sugar and almond extract, process until well combined. Add corn syrup* and process for another minute. The mixture will be crumbly, but when you squeeze a bit of it, it should form a cohesive piece. Turn mixture out onto a board and knead until it comes together. Form a log, wrap in plastic and place in freezer while you temper the chocolate.

To temper chocolate: Place 2.5 ounces in a heat-proof bowl placed over a pot of simmering water. Melt chocolate, stirring frequently. When temperature is over 105, add remaining .5 ounces of chocolate and stir until melted. When the chocolate cools to 90 degrees, it is ready. Keep it at this temperature while you're dipping.

When the chocolate is ready, remove the marzipan from the freezer and roll it out to about 1/4" thick. Using a cookie cutter, biscuit cutter, knife, etc... cut out shapes as desired. Dip into chocolate, and place on a piece of parchment until chocolate is set.

* I've had a couple of comments from people who have made this, saying that the marzipan was extremely sticky and difficult to roll out. My suggestion is to start with 4 tablespoons of corn syrup, and test the marzipan to see if it stays together when squeezed in a clump. If it is still crumbly, add the additional tablespoon. You can also try dusting your rolling surface & pin with powdered sugar, though I have made this twice in the last couple of weeks and didn't need any, so the ideal is to have marzipan that is soft, moist, not crumbly and not sticky (though it will be slightly oily from the natural oils in the almonds).


26 comments:

  1. These are beautiful. I had no idea marzipan was that easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah, Marzipan was my favorite as a child, too, and I still LOVE it. My mom is German, so we got ours sent from the relatives in Germany, mainly at Christmas time. How wonderful to be able to make our own! I absolutely have to do this. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. And although you say you are not much in the Valentine's Day spirit this year, I'm sure you will enjoy the love you share with your little guys and the rest of your family and friends. Peace, Stephanie
    PS I made your coconut cake last week, my family LOVED it...that cake is so good...there are no words to describe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had marzipan....it sounds like I've been missing out all these years! Your photos are wonderful and I'm definitely intrigued. I'll have to add it to the list of things to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are absolutely beautiful. I bet they taste as good as they look. Saw you on food gawker today. I'm happy to know of your site! I'm following now.
    Have a great day!
    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  5. These little coins are absolutely adorable! I LOVE them! The contrasting dark brown and cream jump right off the page. . .beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This marzipan coins were awesome. Thanks for sharing this recipe and I would definitely try this at home.

    :).....

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are insanely cute. I need some now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I didn't know quite how to make marzipan--what an approachable and delicious recipe! Must, try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are beautiful and sound amazing. I love marzipan. Making it yourself is a wonderful idea, it's rather expensive in stores.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so elegant and delicious! We love you here at How2Heroes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful!! I find marzipan completely disgusting, but your marzipan coins are so gorgeous, you've almost convinced me to make these! Really stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never had marzipan coins or even worked with marzipan and I have been catering for 20 years. These look wonderful. -- Sherry www.aka rosemaryandthegoat.om

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't believe I've never had marzipan before! It sounds great and easy to make, I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look wonderful Sarah and very sophisticated indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ive never made marzipan before and I tried this and it was very sticky, hard to roll out and cut etc, any pointers?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anon - Mine wasn't sticky at all, but I would just add more powdered sugar a little at a time until it becomes a manageable consistency.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will try that, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stephanie - I'm so happy to hear that the cake was a hit! I made it again last night as a layer cake, it is so yummy! Let me know if you try the marzipan!

    Anon - Let me know how it works out! Additionally, you can try dusting your surface & rolling pin with powdered sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My older daughter is the kind of marzipan fanatic that you describe. I've worked with good quality artisanal marzipan but have never made my own. I'm bookmarking this recipe - your coins look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. okay i made these they were WAY to stickkky really hard to roll out. I tried sprinkling powdered sugar on my rolling pin as well as on the cutting board. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aisha - I would add extra powdered sugar to the marzipan itself, a little at a time until it is a manageable consistency. So odd, you're the second person to say this, though I've made it twice and had no problems... I think I'm going to have to add a note to the recipe... Thanks for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh my goodness i absolutely love your blog!
    i have made this, and the digestive cookies, and cannot wait to make the mounds and am going to try making the vanilla as well!!!
    sam
    http://flavorator.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Whoops not digestive, the coconut macaroons!
    http://flavorator.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. hhmm...tastes yummy!..I now eager to buy that one...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis