Sunday, July 12, 2009

SMS: Agave Sweetened Ricotta Cheesecake with Blueberry Compote



This week's SMS recipe was for a lemon blueberry cheesecake with cornmeal crumble crust. That is not what I made. I had been wanting to make a ricotta cheesecake for some time, so this seemed like a good opportunity to try one out. I also wanted to sweeten it with agave so that my son could eat it. I researched ricotta cheesecake recipes online, and drawing from several different recipes I sort of made it up as I went along. The result was amazing. Amazing. Smooth, creamy, light, oh my. I will be making this again and again and again and again and again... Oh, and it was fast, too. About 10 minutes of prep tops! 

I'd like to try Melissa's cheesecake recipe one day soon, but for now, here's mine:

32 oz ricotta
3 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla 
zest of 1 lemon
3/4 c agave nectar

3 c walnuts
1/4 cup agave
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 9 inch spring-form pan.

Crust:
Place walnuts, agave and salt in food processor. Pulse until crumbly in texture. Press into buttered 9 inch springform pan.

Filling:
Blend ricotta in food processor until silky smooth - about 2 min. Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer. On low, add agave 1/4 cup at a time, blending well with each addition. Add eggs 1 at a time, blending well with each addition. Stir in zest and vanilla. Pour into pan. Bake for 60-70 minutes (I baked for 70), covering with a foil tent at around 35-40 min. Bake until deep golden brown, and still slightly jiggly. 

Blueberry Compote:
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
3 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar
1/8 - 1/4 tsp salt

Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and cook on med low heat for about 20 min or until blueberries break down and mixture thickens.



Thanks to Eliana of A Chica Bakes for choosing this week's recipe. You can find the cheesecake recipe on her blog. 

8 comments:

  1. Your recipe sounds delicious and your cheesecake lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your cheesecake looks so crumbly and delish.

    I keep forgetting that you moved your blog, I've stuck you on follow again so I never miss another recipe :D

    Katie xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ricotta pie! I'll have to try your version sometims.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made it up as you went along?? Impressive results, my friend. It looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your ricotta cheesecake looks beautiful! I'm not usually a ricotta fan, but ever since we made those SMS caramel apple turnovers, I've been considering converting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cheesecake looks great. Your changes sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sarah!

    I love your creativity, and utilizing the SMS recipe as inspiration for a different type of cheesecake. I've heard a lot about agave nectar, but haven't tried it in my baking yet. Do you have any other recipes which utilize agave that you'd recommend to get me started? I'd really appreciate your advice if you have any ideas!

    I made the cheesecake as written in the book, and I'd love for you to check out the results if you have a chance: http://hotovenwarmheart.wordpress.com/ Will you be posting about the Whole Orange Poppyseed Cake this week? I made it yesterday and was very pleased with the results!

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend, and I'll talk to you soon :)

    -Joy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis