Wednesday, August 19, 2009

BBA Challenge: Ciabatta


This is one of the breads that I was really looking forward to - though it took me a while to get to it! It's been weeks since I baked any bread!


Well, it was certainly worth the wait. This is delicious ciabatta. Tender crumb, golden crust, wonderful flavor. It came out of the oven looking so beautiful I knew I was in for a treat. Then I cut it open... Something was missing... Where are my holes?! They say a good ciabatta is measured by the size of the holes - one case where bigger is actually better. My holes were tiny, almost non-existent. It was a bit of a disappointment. Though it tasted so good, I suppose I could have much bigger complaints...

We made sandwiches with it - come back tomorrow for a fried green tomato sandwich - and french toast, and ate it unadorned. It was fantastic. I'll be making it again, and striving for more prominent holes!

If you don't already have The Bread Baker's Apprentice, go get a copy! It is an amazing book, and in it you will find the recipe for this ciabatta.


5 comments:

  1. I loved this bread, and I'm glad that it was a big hit for you as well. I've got to carve out some time to make another batch soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks beautiful, even without the big holes! I keep thinking about making fried green tomatoes, but I know I'm the only one in my family that will eat them. They always remind me of the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you did a great job! i have never tried ciabatta

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bread looks so air, soft and amazing sandwich worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your ciabatta look perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis