Friday, August 7, 2009

Graham Crackers



When I saw that part of the July Daring Bakers challenge was to make marshmallows, I knew that s'mores were in my future. Deb of Smitten Kitchen had recently done a post on the graham crackers from Nancy Silverton's Pastries from the La Brea Bakery, so I decided to give Nancy's recipe a try.

I made a few changes to the recipe out of necessity. It calls for dark brown sugar, and I was out so I used granulated sugar and substituted the 1/3 cup of honey (which I don't bake with anyway) for 1/3 cup molasses. Had I had the dark brown sugar, I was planning on using brown rice syrup in place of the honey. I still want to give that combo a try.

These are delicious cookies. They didn't have the texture of a traditional graham cracker - they were slightly soft in the center - but they were certainly tastier. They made delicious s'mores.

You can find the recipe here. Or buy the book, it's wonderful!

4 comments:

  1. These look so heavenly and so do the s'mores. I have a weakness for graham crackers and have never tried to make them at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! I can just imagine the fresh taste they bring to a s'more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used this recipe [http://vegancupcakes.wordpress.com/2007/07/04/graham-crackers/] with great success. This one looks great, too. I was just talking about making them again, perhaps I'll try this one now!

    Cheers,

    *Heather*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis