Sunday, August 16, 2009

SMS: Vanilla Rose Pecan Truffles

This week we were actually supposed to make hazelnut truffles, but I just don't like them. I love just about every other truffle I've ever had.

I made a few changes to the recipe, needless to say. I steeped a vanilla bean and 1/2 cup dried rose petals in the cream before pouring it over my chopped chocolate (while straining it). After all of the chocolate was melted, I stirred in 2 tablespoons rose water and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract. When the ganache was firm, I formed balls and rolled them in finely chopped toasted pecans.

These were delicious. I would have liked the rose and vanilla flavors to be a bit more pronounced, but they were detectable, and everything worked really well together.

Now I need to find some people to give these away to, because it is mighty dangerous to have so many truffles in the house!

These truffles were selected by Annie of Living Life Foodcariously, where you can find the recipe for the hazelnut version.

14 comments:

  1. How great to find a kindred spirit on the hazelnut front (Nutella is just "meh" to me) and I'm glad to know there you found a great way to adapt this recipe to eliminate hazelnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look fantastic, those are wonderful substitutions. I'm sure you won't have trouble finding people happy to eat these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vanilla & rose -- sooooooo exotic! I love it! Your truffles look great -- send some my way - I'll help you eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, vanilla and rose. Sounds so elegant and exotic. I'm sure you'll find people to eat them...my friends will eat just about anything.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your variation!! Reading your post gave me an idea: orange blossom water and chopped toasted almonds. Yum! Will have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! those are impressive. great changes in my opinion!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Sarah! Your creativity is amazing- I never would of thought of combining rose water, vanilla, and pecans in a truffle! I've heard of rose water before, but have never used it. Do you make your own or buy it pre-made from the store?

    I'm super excited to be hosting SMS this week, and I really hope you will bake along with me- it just wouldn't be the same without you! Hope you're doing well, and I look forward to talking to you again soon. Have a great rest of your week :)

    -Joy

    ReplyDelete
  8. your truffles are beautiful! i see i wasn't the only one that took a creative license on these :) great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fabulous truffles!!! I absolutely LOVE them =D!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what amazing sounding variations on the original!! They look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have always wondered about rose water. My mom has a recipe book from the 1800's and quite a few of the recipes call for it. I had to give mine away as well- hazelnuts are one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis