Tuesday, August 4, 2009

TWD: Vanilla Ice Cream (one week late)

First of all, my apologies to Mary of The Food Librarian she chose Dorie's classic banana bundt cake for this week's recipe, but after my husband's birthday party this past weekend - where I made a sweet and salty cake, an agave-sweetened ricotta cheesecake, blondies and browned butter shortbread (recipe tomorrow), I just couldn't make any more sweets. I will make this cake at some point, but for now, I have the vanilla ice cream from last week's TWD.

I wasn't able to make this for last tuesday, but after reading rave reviews on so many blogs - many said it was the best ice cream they had ever had. I was anxious to give it a shot.

I finally had a chance to make it one night last week. I started to heat my cream, I had all of my other ingredients ready, all was going well. I looked over at my pot to check on my cream, and what should be floating there but a moth, its wings disintegrating into the liquid. I had to toss it all, and I had no extra cream to start over with.

A few nights later, I tried it again, and this time I was successful!

The only change I made to the recipe was to sweeten it with agave. I used 1/2 cup for the full recipe of ice cream, and it was plenty sweet.

This was really yummy ice cream, but not the best vanilla I've ever had. Actually the brown sugar vanilla we made for SMS several weeks ago was probably the best. This wasn't nearly as creamy, and I honestly felt it was a bit of a waste of a vanilla bean... Vanilla extract would have worked just as well (which is actually what I used for the SMS ice cream). I'm sure it's a great base for all kinds of fun add-ins, though.


Thanks to Lynne of Cafe LynnyLu for selecting last week's recipe, and thanks to Mary of The Food Librarian for hosting this week. I promise I'll give the bundt a chance soon! I'll be out of town next week, but I'll try to bake in advance so I can keep up with the group.

9 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that this wasn't one of your favorites; it sure looks good though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ice cream looks perfect. Sorry you didn't care for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe that the moth took a bath in your cream! At least you got to make it. I liked this one and the SMS ice cream, too. You're right though, this one would be good for mix-ins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks good! Sorry it didnt turn out as you wished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwwwwwwwww man... first a moth and then it wasnt THE vanilla ice cream. I'm not a TWD baker but after reading everyone's reviews I just made a batch of this, too. I'll let u know what i think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This vanilla ice cream wasn't life-changing for us, either, but we like it less creamy not more! Yours looks delectable, though. I need to experiment with agave in my ice cream...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, even a week late, it looks spectacular! I love that little bowl you have it in, and the texture of the ice cream looks really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That ice cream looks perfect! It would be nice paired with the banana bundt cake too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great to me! Thanks for making Dorie's recipe with me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis